Search AuthorSearch through Articles written by:
AST Product Categories
Definitive Signs of a Great Training Partner
Bodybuilding has been looked at by many as an individual sport. The solitude that accompanies a contest training athlete does exist and often times overshadows the greater picture. Ask any champion about their journey to the top, and 9.9 times out of 10 you will hear praise given to at least one person (usually more) that has been an integral part of their prep. This could be anyone from a significant other, a friend or relative and perhaps even a mentor or life coach. At the end of the night it is true that only one person is left standing, but in the shadows of the stage are those who have supported the champion. Of those supporters, one or two have gone through the same workouts as the champ, have given up their time to ensure the success of another and have dedicated their life for a short period of time for the greater good of their friend and person they whole heartedly believe in. The one or two who I am talking about are the training partners. Without them, the full potential and successes of our champions may have never seen the light of day.
What makes a great training partner?
- The following is a top five list (in no particular order) of things you should look for when choosing someone to join your journey to the top of the ranks. This choice may seem insignificant to some because after all, the person competing has to put the work in. However, a perfect training partner can be the difference between pushing yourself to your limits and beyond and having one lackluster workout after another.
- Dependable: Knowing that you can count on your training partner to be at the gym for each session is a psychological tool you can use when you are mentally preparing and imagining your workout. If you have everything planned out perfectly in your head and then you find yourself alone, all that you have prepared for gets thrown out the window and you are left wasting time figuring out a new plan of attack.
- On time: If you set a time for your training you have set it in accordance to all of the other things you have timed during the day for a perfect prep. Getting to the gym, in a primed state to workout and then waiting for your partner to show up is very frustrating and possibly detrimental to your workout. A couple minutes here or there is nothing but if you are consistently waiting for someone to show up, it might be time to look for someone else.
- Comparable intensities: The last thing you need is someone training with you that you need to waste your own energy on to fire them up. They are supposed to be getting you psyched up and not vice versa. The best training partners are the ones who are training like they’re after the same title. It will push you harder and the alpha male (female) will be fighting hard as hell to establish dominance.
- Is stronger than you: If you train with someone stronger than you, you will constantly feel you are behind because you are getting your ass kicked each day. For the mentally tough, this is exactly what you want. It will force you to train harder, longer, and smarter and seeing someone beating you will give you a “pedal to the metal” mentality and cruising into a contest will be the last thing on your mind.
- Bodybuilding knowledge: Choosing a bodybuilder to train with or at least someone who understands the sport is crucial. There are things bodybuilders do in their training that other athletes do not. Having someone by your side who understands this is critical. Changing angles of exercises, knowing how to pose, understanding muscle balance and symmetry and just having a good “eye” for bodybuilding gives the person training for the title an extreme advantage over the other competitors who do not have this. You are your own worst critic until you meet an honest, bodybuilding aficionado who will tell it to you like it is because they want to see you at your best.
A solid training partner(s) is invaluable. They provide support for the athlete that is selfless in nature and then quietly accept a degree of victory in the end. AST Sports Science feels the same way. We take great pride in knowing our products have helped many achieve their goals and will continue to create innovative, high performance nutritional supplements that will back all of your training efforts. Invite AST Sports Science to join your journey, we’ll never let you down!